In case you weren’t aware (like we haven’t been plugging it for months) Gavin’s feature film directorial début, “Take Me To Dinner”, is released in Malaysian Cinemas today, 13th March 2014!
In honour of this achievement, I sat down with Gavin and his wife/producer on the film Trina to chat about their experiences making their first film, with almost no budget, and trying to dig a littler deeper than the usual short and sweet press interviews.
We discuss topics such as the conception of the film , how was it working together, the pressures of no-budget film making, getting married in the middle of production, the importance of on set recording and the secret comic book links in the film!
We mostly managed to avoid major spoilers, so sit back and relax and listen to find out what it takes to make a great dinner.
Take me to Dinner is showing at select GSC Cinemas around KL at Mid Valley, Pavilion 1 Utama and Gurney Plaza. Click here for more information and bookings
For more information on the movie check out its web page at http://takemetodinnermovie.tumblr.com/ & pages on
For those of you wondering why there hasn’t been a podcast for a while the reason is two-fold:
1) Gavin has finally finished rehearsals and can now be found treading the boards nightly at the DBS Arts Centre, Singapore, performing in Pangdemonium’s production of Neil La Bute’s Fat Pig. The show runs until 2nd March 2014 so if you are around Singapore I highly recommend you catch Gavin in the flesh, so to speak.
Tickets are available at the Sistic website here : http://www.sistic.com.sg/events/pig0314 and here’s a quick Youtube clip if you want a taste.
2) Gavin’s most recent stand-in just had a baby so that put the end to that!!
If you’ve got a love of movies, a decent microphone, PC and internet connection and feel like filling in for Gavin, hit me up at [email protected], on Twitter at http://twitter.com/mcnastyprime, or using the ‘Contact Us’ form here 0n the site and we’ll see about setting up a show!
This could be a bold new experiment!!
After all this time the unthinkable has finally happened!
While Gavin is away, friend of the show, and close, personal friend Dave joins the podcast, in our first ever show recorded across continents, as Dave joins us from Dublin, Ireland.
On this week’s show “Average Dave” & Iain will review I, Frankenstein, The Purge, The Secret life of Walter Mitty, and Machete Kills.
As usual all feedback (including any fan mail for Dave), can be sent to [email protected] to be read out on the next podcast
Here’s the show notes:
- First official pic released from Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Godzilla trailer
- Shia Le Beouf’s bizzare “performance art” apology for plagiarising comic author Daniel Clowes
- Michael Bay’s CES meltdown
- One of Bottlerocket’s Mark Wahlberg vines
- Mark Wahlberg drunken interview on the Graham Norton show
- Edge of Tomorrow trailer
- Bill Murray’s Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA)
- Trailer for EXTREME 80′s kickstarter flick Kung-Fury
- Trailer for The Raid 2: Berandal
- First Trailer for Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Til Dawn TV show
- STUFF OF THE WEEK!
In the meantime here’s a quick update on Gavin’s film, yes, GAVIN’S FILM.
As regular listeners should know, last year Gavin directed his first feature film called “Take me To Dinner” (I’m also in the film, albeit in the background briefly in one scene) and it’s finally opening in selected GSC cinemas in Malaysia on 13th March 2014!
A darkly comic romantic drama, here’s the trailer to whet your appetite
In the run up to the release the production team have also been releasing some (pretty funny) behind the scenes featurettes,I’ve included the the first two at the bottom of this post, however there’ll be more to come so if you want to see them all then subscribe to the “Take Me to Dinner” page on your social media platform of choice:
Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/TakeMeToDinner
Twitter – http://twitter.com/TMTDMovie
Here’s the featurettes, I’ll add the others as they are released:
It’s hard to believe that Christmas is almost upon us and yet another year has almost passed us by. During this week’s podcast, as well as the usual news and reviews of the live action Gatchaman movie & The Lone Ranger, we took the opportunity to sum up the year in movies with our first “Yappies” awards, featuring such categories as “Movies so fucked up I didn’t even bother watching them”, “Soundtrack most likely to induce cardiac arrest”, “Best use of a Britney Spears song in a movie” and many more .
This is probably the last podcast for 2013 but if you have your own personal awards categories for this year’s crop of films, feel free to send them in to [email protected], or tweet them to Gavin or I and we’ll share them on the next podcast.
Here’s the show notes:
- Video tribute to Paul Walker from the crew of The Fast and Furious
- First Trailer for The Amazing Spider-man 2
- First trailer for the Wachovski’s Jupiter Ascending starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis
- First trailer for Sabotage starring Arnie and an almost unrecognisable Sam Worthington
- Just for fun here’s a video of Arnie driving his Tank and spouting lines from Kindergarten Cop
and finally, even though it was released AFTER we recorded the podcast here’s a link to the awesome first trailer for the return of Godzilla
In this week’s middle obsessed show, Gavin and I are joined by irregular contributor Choong Chi Ren, (sitting in the middle, obviously) to discuss Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight series of films; all the latest movie news and trailers (including new Robocop and Noah teasers) and review Captain Philips and Ender’s Game.
- Cool buy of the week (Nic Cage Edition)
- Take a look at Wolverine’s Classic yellow costume revealed in DVD extra from The Wolverine
- Jean Claude Van Damme’s Epic splits video!
- Trailer for The Raid 2: Berandal
- The latest trailer for the Robocop remake
- First Trailer for Darren Aronofsky’s bat shit insane Noah starring Russell Crowe
- Another trailer for Snowpiercer
- Trailer for Jason Statham actioner Homefront (featuring redneck James Franco amongst others!)
- Goofy (fake?) trailer for Machete Kills Again…In Space!
- Trailer for The Lego Movie
In this, a very special episode of the McYapandFries movie podcast we eschew the usual format to discuss Thor:The Dark World and nothing but.
What we liked, what we didn’t like and we talk SPOILERS from the very start!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Joining Gavin and Iain on the podcast couch is good friend, writer and semi-regular podcast guest star Chi-Ren Choon.
Enjoy , and don’t forget you can provide feedback to us by using the form on the contact us page linked to above, or emailing us at [email protected]
On this week’s podcast we are proud to be joined by guest star Leon Tan of Imaginex Studiosand Tripod entertainment and the Malaysian
- First trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier
- First trailer for X-Men Days of Future Past
- Mulder and Scully get dirty at New York Comic con
- New (better) trailer for Anchorman 2
- Book of the week: Guillermo Del Toro edition
- Book of the week 2 : Corey Feldman edition
- and the here’s the opening of 80′s cartoon Silverhawks for fun ( featuring Blue Grass)
“Fuck space” is the only sane response to Alfonso Cuarón’s Gravity which Gavin and Iain review on this week’s show along with Stallone & Schwarzenegger’s latest team up Escape Plan; Hollywood comedian love-in This is the End; Aboriginals with soul flick The Sapphires; and Iain takes us on a nightmarish walk down memory lane with a retro review of Troll.
As usual here the links to everything we discuss on the show:
- The first Trailer for I,Frankenstein
- Trailer for Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit starring Chris Pine, Kiera Knightly Kevin Costner and Kenneth Branagh
- The new trailer for Ben Stiller’s The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
- The new trailer for the Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- Trailer for robots versus zombies movie Battle of the Damned starring Dolph Lundgren
- Ron Burgundy’s (Anchorman) not so great ads for Ford
On this week’s show we review Rush, Riddick, Runner Runner, The Purge and Cloudy with Chance of Meatballs 2 and a whole heap of news including the rather fetching poster for John Landis and Elijah Wood’s Bad Vibes. Ain’t it cool?
- Trailer for Grudge Match with Sylvester Stallone and Robert DeNiro squaring off
- First trailer for the remake of Robocop
- Trailer for The Art of the Steal starring Kurt Russell and Matt Dillon amongst others
- Trailer for The Double from Director Richard Ayoade (Moss from the IT crowd!)
- Cute video of the kids from School of Rock, and Jack Black, reuniting on stage for the films 10 year anniversary