On this week’s podcast Gavin reviews Malaysian football movie Ola Bola, and Quentin Tarantino’s The Hateful 8, while Iain takes a look at Leonardo Di Caprio in The Revenant and Joe Kelley’s run on the Deadpool comics.
Also on this week’s show we also announce our latest competition where YOU can win a large black JunkMonkey deluxe pro single strap urban bag, with upgraded quick release harness from our proud sponsors at Greenroom136.com!
To enter, listen to the podcast for the question and send your answer to [email protected]
For more information on the JunkMonkey click here and check out the video of the quick release harness below
We’ll be running the competition for a few weeks, but we recommend you get your entries in sooner rather than later!
Here’s the links for any trailers or cool stuff we talk about in the show notes below:
- THAT goofy pic of Vin Diesel in xXx: The Retun of Xander Cage
- Deadpool’s Australia Day clip
- The latest Suicide Squad trailer
- Trailer for comedy duo Key and Peele’s first feature Keanu
- Very Cool full trailer for Laika’s Kubo and the Two Strings
- Wonder Woman featurette
- Trailer for The Nice Guys from before Christmas that we forgot to mention before
- Trailer for the seemingly pointless Cabin Fever remake
- Latest trailer for the Angry Birds movie shows a little more story
- Trailer for the abysmal looking Nine Lives starring Kevin Spacey
- Another godawful trailer, this time for the new Trolls movie
- Pee Wee Herman returns in the trailer for Netflix’s Pee Wee’s Big Holiday
- Another trailer we missed Eddie the Eagle
- Weird trailer for Term Life starring Vince Vaughan
- Very cool Superman animatic A Smallville Man
- Online copy of The Blade Runner sketchbook featuring original production artwork from the film from 1982
We kick off the first McYapAndFries movie podcast of 2016 with a review of all the news and trailers that we missed over the festive season, along with a few new promising ones, along with reviews of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s Sisters, post modern horror comedy The Final Girls, slacker-assassin-action-flick American Ultra, financial crisis drama The Big Short, and in the world of Comics we take a look at Max Landis’ Superman:American Alien series so far.
All this and we respond to listener’s emails, including a few that just missed inclusion in our Star Wars The Force Awakens spoilercast, discuss some dodgy Scottish’ Space Pirate accents and provide details of a new discount code from our proud sponsor greenroom136.com!
You’ll have to listen to the cast for that one, but do head over there and check out their handmade Malaysian bags
Here’s the Show Notes:
- X-Files sizzle reel ahead of the shows return THIS SUNDAY!!!
- Goof y 2nd trailer for the Coen Brothers Hail Caesar
- Trailer for J.J. Abrams new TV series, Steven King adaptation 11.22.63 starring James Franco
- Trailer for Elvis and Nixon starring Michael Shannon nd Kevin Spacey
- X-Men Apocalypse trailer
- Star Trek Beyond trailer
- Trailer for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2
- Trailer for The Legend Of Tarzan with a scenery chewing Samuel L Jackson and Christoph Waltz
- First trailer for The BFG
- Trailer for the second turtles movie; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
- Interesting trailer, dumb name , 10 Cloverfield Lane
- SLICK High Rise trailer starring Tom Hiddleston
- Batman 1966 Lego to Celebrate the TV show’s 50th anniversary
- Quattro with a Shotgun poster series at Hero Complex Gallery
- Evil Dead 2 Ash Sixth Scale Figure!
- More Aliens miniatures (that Iain may have mentioned before)!
Better late than never, we kick off 2016 with our in-depth, spoiler-filled, discussion of The Force Awakens.
SPOILER ALERT! WE INTENTIONALLY SPOIL THE ENDING OF THE MOVIE IN THE OPENING MINUTES OF THE POD-CAST, SO CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!
Plus, if you haven’t seen the movie already what have you been doing!?
If you’d like to share your thoughts on the movie with us or you agree/disagree with us on any of the points we talk about, let us know by emailing us at [email protected], tweeting at us at @mcyapandfries, @gavyap or @mcnastyprime or you can leave a comment or send us a message via our Facebook page.
Stay tuned for our next regular podcast soon!
Okaaaay then, we may have messed up our schedule over the Christmas period ( it’s a bit hard to coordinate recording a podcast when you’re separated by 8 timeozones) but now both Gavin and Iain are back ion the same timezone we should be getting back to our (somewhat) regular schedule, starting today with the recording of our Star Wars: The Force Awakens spoiler cast (if all goes to plan!)
In the mean time, for those of your waiting for updates on Gavin’s short film for Doghouse73 pictures; The Incredibly Strange Tale of the Man Who Lost His Love but Bought it Back with a Packet of Duck Rice here’s an interview Gavin recorded yesterday over at BFM, Malaysia’s business radio station, where he discusses the inspiration for the film and more.
Thanks to work commitments, illness, visiting friends from out of town and a whole heap of other nonsense this week’s podcast is a little on the late side however it’s finally here with reviews of Pixar’s latest, The Good Dinosaur and the comic book return of Tyler Durden in Fight Club 2 and a whole heap of trailers!
Check the show notes below for links to all the trailers discussed and don’t forget to check out greenroom136.com, our sponsors, for all your urban carry gear needs!
- Check out Star Wars at Singapore’s Changi Airport
- First pics of Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange
- First look at Chris Pine as Steve Trevor in Wonder Woman
- NSFW trailer for Bill Burr’s animated comedy F is for Family
- Very cool trailer for A Monster Calls starring Liam Neeson’s voice
- Awesome trailer for Moonwalkers
- Trailer for Now You See Me 2… whatever
- Trailer for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2…why!??
- Neat trailer for Zoolander 2
- WTF trailer for Gods Of Egypt
- Rage inducing trailer for Christmas Eve
- Far better festive comedy in The Night Before
- Trailer for 13 Hours The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi, a Michael bay film…really?
- Alice Through the Looking Glass trailer
- Amazing Midnight Special trailer
- First full trailer for the Warcraft movie from last week
- FULL SIZE NECA Alien facehugger and egg!!
- Weird Alien warrior figures in odd poses from Kotobukiya
- Sweet Universal Solider action figures
- Amazing Hollywood Collectibles statue of Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters
The Incredibly Strange Tale Of The Man Who Lost His Love But Bought It Back With A Packet Of Duck Rice Update
For those of your patiently awaiting Gavin’s Short Film “The Incredibly Strange Tale Of The Man Who Lost His Love But Bought It Back With A Packet Of Duck Rice”, it has been invited for competition at the Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival in Indonesia, which unfortunately means that its release on YouTube has now to be pushed back from it’s original release date of 13th November.
Gavin and Doghouse 73 Pictures will now release the short film after the festival, which runs from the 1st to 6th of December.
Stay Tuned for more updates as we have them!
On this week’s show we take a look at James Bond’s latest cinematic outing in Spectre, Ben Kingsley and Ryan Reynolds becoming one in Self/Less, and Vin Diesel’s one man war on the supernatural in The Last Witch Hunter.
Gavin also takes a look at recent comics Bizarro and Journey to the Force Awakens:Shattered Empire, you get a new “Duck Rice” update and some tales from the set of the upcoming Buku Fixi short film Breaking Point from Doghouse 73 Pictures.
As usual the podcast this week is proudly sponsored by Greenroom136.com, check out their new OttoBook Travel, a travel companion for all your travel needs in one convenient wallet that can be tethered to your bag or waist with a carabinier. Buy it at http://greenroom136.com/shop or retail at pop by jaya one and istore at Publika.
- First Trailer for AMC’s new Preacher TV Series
- How Deadpool spent Halloween
- First proper trailer for Netflix’s next Marvel TV show Jessica Jones
- Trailer for grungy looking action-horror He Never Died starring Henry Rollins
- The trailer for the Warcraft movie is out until Friday but here’s the teaser
- Trailer for Spike Lee’s Chi-Raq
- Hamilton watch as featured in The Martian
- Cool retro Christmas sweaters from Mondo Store
- Cool Stan Lee action figure!
- Cool posters (and screening details) for on eof Edgar Wright’s first films, A Fist Full of Fingers
Gavin’s book How I made My First Movie, or a Decade of Favours is currently at number 10 on MPH book stores top 10 local non-fiction bests sellers list!
You can pick up the book for your self at MPH bookstores or by ordering on-line by clicking here
Gavin’s first movie, Take Me To Dinner, the making of which is chronicled in How I made My First Movie is also now available to buy or rent over at Vimeo
See if oyu can spot Iain (easy mode) or Gavin (hard mode) in the movie itself!
If you do watch it let us know what you think by sending us a message on our Facebook Page , our Twitter @McYapandFries or by mailing us using the “Contact Us” form on the site or emailing us directly at [email protected]
On this week’s show we review a very curious set of movies as Gavin investigates The Snowtown Murders and Bridge of Spies while Iain tries out The Intern, and reviews the final series of Continuum and talks a little about his experience with the Star Wars Battlefront Beta
As usual we also run down all the latest news and read through our longest email/comment EVER, but please note that we recorded this podcast BEFORE the new trailer for Star Wars was released so we don’t talk about that (I thought it was awesome by the way).
Gavin’s first book “How I Made My First Movie (Or, A Decade of Favours)” is also now available to buy on-line at MPH book stores by clicking here!
You can find the links for any trailers or cool stuff we talk about in the show notes below:
- New Star Wars: The Force Awakens poster
- Friday the 13th videogame kickstarter (buyer beware , as with all kickstarter projects there’s no guarantee it will ever be delivered)
- Neil BlomKamp shows off the new Pulse Rifles for his new Alien film on his Instagram account
- Trailer for heavy metal Black and white “silent movie” Gutterdämmerung
- Great trailer for the new Coen Brothers film Hail Caesar
- Smart trailer for Kill Your Friends starring Nicholas Hoult
- Latest odd trailer for the equally odd seeming The Good Dinosaur
- Final trailer for the latest James Bond film Spectre
- Trailer for A Very Murray Christmas, starring, who else, Bill Murray
- Trailer for animated videogame adaptation Ratchet and Clank
- Spectre director Sam Mendes interviews a swathe of A-list directors from Steven Spielberg to Edgar Wrigh, as part of his guest editorship of Empire Magazine
- Pepsi releases limited edition Pepsi Perfect bottle from Back to the Future II to coincide with 21st October 2015
- More Back to the Future II goofiness with Universal’s Jaws 19 trailer
- Cool Aliens themed plastic toy soldiers
- Replica Pulse Rifles soon to go on sale from Aliens
- Free downloadable comic prequel to the upcoming Jessica Jones Netflix show over at Comixology
- Tom Whalens’s Guardians of the Galaxy poster over at Grey Matter Art Gallery
- Matt Ferguson’s Captain America: The First Avenger poster over at Grey Matter Art Gallery
- Matt Ferguson’s glow in the dark Iron Man poster over at Grey Matter Art Gallery
- Cool video of a guy who built a magnetic Thor’s hammer with thumb print scanner that only he was “worthy” of picking up
Gavin’s back from his Australian adventure so we jump straight back into it, with a show full of news and reviews. This week’s show we review Straight Outta Compton, Wet Hot American Summer the 2001 movie and the more recent Netflix series, Everest and The Martian. We also announce the winner s of our greenroom136 competition! We’ll be in touch with the winners soon to figure out how to get their prizes to them! Stay tuned for our next competition coming soon! Gavin’s book also went on sale recently. You can buy “How I Made My First Movie, or a Decade of Favours” in bookstores around Malaysia or online at mphonline!
- New teaser trailers for Netflix’s & Marvel’s Jessica Jones:
- 2nd Avengers: Age Of Ultron gag reel
- X-Files abridged Vine series
- First big trailer for the new season of The X-files
- First trailer for the Angry Birds movie
- First trailer for banking crisis drama/comedy (?) The Big Short
- The Peanuts Movie gets a proper trailer
- Heist movie… um… Heist gets a trailer
- Playlist of all the Alamo Drafthouse’s #DontTalk Ads
- Very cool statue/toy of Captain Phasma from Stars Wars: The Force Awakens
- Here’s that Judge Dredd Action Figure With Bike we mention on the podcast
- Wearable Iron Man Mark 43 (XLIII) Suit!
- Tyler Stout’s very cool Avengers: Age Of Ultron posters over at Hero Complex Gallery